Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Am I too old for a home

"Give me your answer, fill in a form, Mine for evermore. Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four." ~The Beatles

Bean here! I was listening to the Beatles today with my foster family and even singing along to it (See my singing the blues video). When I got to the end of the song, I got very sad. My family decided they didn't need me and didn't want to feed me before I turned 64. In people years, I am now about 63. I am hoping that someone will decide they want me before I'm 70!Anyway, I guess I will write new words... Here they are: "Give me your answer, fill out the app, my Forever home. Stuffies a plenty, play like I'm twenty, when I'm 70!"
Note from foster mom: I know how difficult it is to decide to take an older pup. I hesitated to take Bean as a foster dog. I am so glad I chose to take him and Jelly. What a fun, wonderful guy! Any amount of time with him and Jelly has enriched my life. I often have to remind myself of his age as he bounces around the backyard, throwing stuffies to himself and making them squeak. As I learned from Highway (my first greyhound) a dog can get sick and go to the Rainbow Bridge at any age. Highway left us 2 weeks before his 6th birthday and after only 21 months of touching our lives forever (It is very unusual for a greyhound to get cancer at such a young age). Bettis came to us at 4 1/2 years old. We were nervous about Bettis meeting the same fate as Highway and weren't sure we could handle it again, but Bettis has taught us that every dog is different and they all need homes and will greatly reward you no matter how long they stay with you! By the way, Bettis will turn 9 on 11 April!

No comments: