Sunday, January 4, 2009

Letter from Doggie Bootcamp...Please send help!


Dear anyone who will help me,
My name was Red Hawk until I got sent to Doggie Bootcamp. They have since started calling me Hawkeye. How much more military can you get? I've seen MASH! Let me tell you how I ended up here. I was in a home and they sent me back to the kennel and said that I would growl at people when I was laying on my bed sleeping. That is when I got sent to doggie bootcamp. There are a couple of former Marines here playing drill instructor on me. I think you can see how pitiful I look in this picture. Anyway, this is what they have been doing to me...First, every time I fall asleep, they step on my bed and wake me up, they sneak up on me and tap me with their foot, they poke at me and pick on me like it was cool. They even stick their hands in my food bowl when I am eating!!! To my credit, my foster mom (aka "Drill instructor" or DI) says I have passed that test with flying colors and never once growled. Maybe I will get out of this place, yet!! So, the DI pulled the ultimate in tests on me the other day. She left the crate up from the last dog to see if I liked having somewhere to chill out. I will go in there sometimes and lay down. Well, the DI came home from the grocery store and gave Bettis (who must be really bad because he has been at Doggie bootcamp for over 5 years, he says!) and I a Dentabone. I took mine to the crate to chew on. You will not believe what she did next!! She came over and took the bone away from me. I gave her a pitiful look and I think she felt bad because she gave it back. Just to be safe, I turned around and faced the back of the cage with my bone. No one would mess with me there--RIGHT!! The DI got in the crate and took my bone. I held on for dear life, but she took my snout and took it right out of my mouth!!! Don't worry, I realized there was nothing I could do, so I let her have the bone and gave her the saddest look ever. Apparently my good looks work like a charm, because she felt bad again and gave it back!! I have to note here, I DID NOT GROWL OR SNAP!!! In fact, I have only growled a couple times here. One time, I was playing with a toy and collapsed on my bed with the toy in my paws, completely exhausted. A smaller dog (55lb Belgian Malinois) tried to take it out of my paws while I was sleeping and I growled at him. The second time I was playing with a toy and the smaller dog tried to take it from me and I growled at him then, too. My DI said that was understandable because I was just letting the other dog know I was boss over my toys that I was playing with. I did let him play with the other toys I wasn't playing with. So, what help do I need? My DI says that she would feel comfortable letting me go to a home now. I need out of doggie bootcamp...They have given me my walking papers, but only if someone comes to take me home! I do have to say they are not picking on me as much now that I have passed my tests, but it would still be nice to call somewhere home. Look into my pitiful eyes and tell me you can resist my charm...Go ahead, I dare you!! I'll write "home" more because I know my "home" is out there reading my letters. They just don't know they are my "home" yet!
Love,
Hawkeye

2 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

If only the adopters were that easy to train :-).

Jen

GreyFosterMom said...

We would have a lot less returns if they did!